Tadalafil is a medication used to treat erectile dysfunction and signs of an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia).
It is also often used to treat pulmonary hypertension (increased pressure in the blood vessels serving the lungs).
Tadalafil can only be purchased with a prescription.
It comes in tablet form and is taken with water, and can take it with or without food.
- For the treatment of erectile dysfunction, tadalafil usually takes 30 to 60 minutes to take effect, and it should be taken once a day, at least 30 minutes before sexual intercourse.
- Taking this pill alone will not give you a full erection. For this to happen, you must be sexually aroused.
- Many men who take tadalafil do not have unwanted side effects, but other men have small ones. These side effects include complications, back pain, muscle pain, leg or arm pain, hyperemia, stuffy nose, and indigestion.
- Do not take it tablet if you are taking nitrates simultaneously (usually for chest pain). This mixture can cause a dangerous drop in blood pressure.
- Tadalafil is often referred to by the model names Cialis (for the treatment of erectile dysfunction and benign prostate hyperplasia) and Adcirca (for the treatment of pulmonary hypertension).
Who can and cannot take tadalafil?
Only adults over the age of 18 can take tadalafil.
There are some people for whom tadalafil is not suitable.
Do not take tadalafil if you.
- Have you ever had an allergic reaction to tadalafil or any other medication?
- You are taking nitrates for chest pain.
- You have severe coronary heart disease or liver disease
- You have recently had a stroke or heart attack
- Have low or uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Have a history of imaginative or pre-consciousness disorders due to decreased blood flow to the mind
Consult your doctor before taking tadalafil if you have any of the following conditions
- Have sickle cell disease (abnormal red blood cells), leukaemia (cancer of the blood cells), or multiple myeloma (cancer of the bone marrow).
- Have Peyronie’s disease (curvature of the penis) or have the same defect in the penis.
- Have a liver or kidney problem.
- Have coronary heart disease – your doctor will tell you if your heart can handle the extra strain of sexual activity.
Where to buy Tadalafil?
Tadalafil is only available by prescription.
About the National Health Service
Tadalafil is only used to treat erectile dysfunction if you have sclerosis or symptoms similar to a spinal cord injury.
This medicine is not available on the NHS to treat PPH.
If you don’t meet the NHS criteria to take tadalafil, you will get a private formula from your healthcare provider, which means you will have to pay the total cost of the medication.
How and when to take the medicine?
You must take this medicine as recommended by your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Tadalafil tablets come in several varieties.
Swallow the tablet whole and drink water at the same time. The tablets can be taken with or without meals.
How much should I take if I have erectile dysfunction?
Tadalafil is usually taken before sexual activity. Take one tablet at least 30 – 45 minutes before sex. Don’t take more than one tablet a day.
The dose that stays the same for a long time is 10 mg. Your doctor may increase or decrease the quantity depending on the actual effectiveness of the medication and how it is usually taken. It is not recommended to take 10 mg or Tadalista 20 mg pills a day because the effects may last longer than 24 hours.
For the pills to work correctly, you must be sexually aroused
If you have a personal prescription for tadalafil, read the information that comes with the medication carefully. Diet and dosage instructions may vary.
How much should I take to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia?
Tadalafil tablets for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia are available in Tadarise 2.5 mg and 5 mg doses. The same dose as in the past, 5 mg, is taken once a day. You can take them in the morning or evening, but it is best to take them simultaneously each day.
If you have problems similar to the unwanted side effects, your doctor may prescribe a lower dose of 2.5 mg. If you are being treated for benign prostate hyperplasia and erectile dysfunction, the amount is 5 mg.
How much should I take for pulmonary hypertension?
Tadalafil tablets for the treatment of pulmonary hypertension are available in a 20 mg dosage. As in the past, I took two 40 mg – 20 mg tablets as early in the day as possible. These tablets are enormous and should be taken one after the other.
If you have kidney or liver difficulties, your physician may decrease the starting dose to 10 mg or Vidalista 20 mg.
What should I do if I forget to take my medication?
If you have.
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia – take the dose as soon as you remember, then proceed as before.
- Pulmonary hypertension – if you can take a dose within 8 hours. If you remember, after 8 hours, skip the missed dose and take the next amount as usual.
- Don’t take two doses at the same period. Don’t use extra doses to make up for the desired quantity.
- If you often forget to take your medication, it is a good idea to set the alarm.
- You can also ask your pharmacist for advice on different ways to help you remember to take your medication.
What if I take too much?
If you accidentally take too much tadalafil, it can cause unpleasant side effects, such as
- Stuffy nose
- Problems with imagination or foresight (such as foggy imagination or forethought).
Unpleasant side effects usually go away as soon as you stop taking the pills. Consult your doctor if you have taken too much tadalafil and are frightened by these unwanted side effects.
Unpleasant side effects
Like all medicines, tadalafil can cause unwanted side effects in some people. Most people have few or no unwanted side effects.
Common side effects
More than 1 in 100 people experience unwanted side effects very often. Unwanted side effects can be eliminated by increasing the dose.
In the unlikely event that you have any of these unwanted side effects, continue to take your medication, but report any problems or lack of improvement to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
- Feeling sick (nausea)
- Redness or burning of the face
- Stuffy nose
- Muscle pain or discomfort
Serious Adverse Side Effects
Serious side effects are rare & occur in less than 1 in 1000 people. You should stop taking tadalafil immediately and tell your health care provider if you experience any of the following.
- Chest pain – if it occurs during or after sex, immediately assume a semi-seated position and try to relax (do not treat chest pain with nitrates while taking tadalafil)
- Prolonged erections and general pain: Contact your doctor immediately if the erection lasts more than 4 hours.
- Sudden loss of vision or hearing
- Severe reactions to the pores and skin – Symptoms may include:
- Raised red spots or red patches (hives) on the pores and skin.
- Swelling of the face.
- Puffy eyes.
- Seizures or taking medication
You may have a severe allergic reaction, which can be treated quickly in the hospital.
These are not all the unwanted side effects of tadalafil, and you will find a complete list in the package insert that comes with your medication.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Girls with pulmonary hypertension can also be treated with tadalafil. If you have pulmonary hypertension, do not take tadalafil while you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Non-urgent advice If this happens, please tell your doctor.
Precautions with other medications
Some medicines are incompatible with tadalafil.
Before you start taking tadalafil, tell your health care provider if you are taking any of these medicines.
- Nitrates for chest pain
- Light for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension
Combining tadalafil with natural remedies and supplements
Some complementary therapies may contain substances that interact with tadalafil and cause unwanted side effects.
Frequently asked questions
How does tadalafil work?
Tadalafil belongs to a group of drugs known as phosphodiesterase 5 (PDE5) inhibitors.
It helps with erectile dysfunction by increasing blood flow to the penis during a short period of sexual excitement.
Stimulation of prostate and bladder muscle tissue reduces symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia, obstructed urination, and the urge to urinate.
The effect on the blood vessels of the thoracic cavity improves pulmonary hypertension, and it increases blood flow to the lungs and reduces the tension in the centre.
What are the effects on erectile dysfunction?
Tadalafil is very effective in fighting erectile dysfunction.
Overall, more than six out of ten men report that their erections become stronger after taking the drug.
If you’re not getting the results you want from tadalafil, it may be because
- You had sex too soon after taking it.
- You had sex too long after taking the medication.
- The dose was not enough
- You did not get enough sexual stimulation
How long does it take to work?
Tadalafil usually starts working within 30 to 60 minutes. It is triggered by sexual stimulation, so arousal is necessary for it to work.